Monday, March 08, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Simple Life


February 21, 2010

One of the reasons that I join Peace Corps is that I was longing for a “Simple Life”. I like the idea that I just get up in the morning and do not have to worry about deadline, meeting, conference, quarterly financial results or budget vs. actual variance. I hated my working years in the Wall Street where I confronted with cruel and senseless faces, where making money was the only thing in everyone’s mind and where finding true friendship was difficult. There were many late nights in the office when I looked outside the window; all I wished for was to be outside counting the stars.

For the past ten years, I have traveled to many remote places. The foothill of Himalayas, the jungle of Venezuela, the ruins of Peru, the roof of Africa and the desert of Sahara, where I saw life that is free of material things, life that entirely depends on what God provides, life that is surrounded by love and life that is simple but full of joy. Those images have haunted me for a long time. Today in Azerbaijan, I finally understand there is no such thing called “Simple Life”.

Perhaps I was a bit naive believing that there is such a thing called “Simple Life”. Since the dawn of mankind, Life has never been “Simple”…..

No comments: