Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - I Found an Apartment!

March 18, 2010
After all the disappointment, frustration and desperation, I finally found the apartment that I like. A one bed room cozy place, located near the Caspian Sea and it is only five minutes walk to the bank; completely renovated, with high ceiling, nice furniture and facing the park. What I like the most is its big tall balcony window. In the summer, I can open the door and let the ocean breeze cold down the apartment. It is located on the 2nd floor of an old building that has so much charm and characters; with little European balcony, detail wall design, and shining wooden floor, the kind of buildings that we often found in Park Avenue of New York. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it but it was the price that precluded me from saying “yes” to the landlord.

For the American standard, this place would be a big bargain. In New York City, this little apartment easily costs over 3,000 a month, but here in Azerbaijan it is much less. Nevertheless, for the local standard, it is still very expensive. When I decide to take it, my co-workers at the bank were all shocked. The rent alone is more than their monthly salary. How can I afford it? Well, at this point I do not know. All I care about is: I do not need to worry sick about where to live in April, and I am completely relieved that I will have my freedom back starting that day. For me, it is priceless.

I already have a big plan for what I am going to do in April. I will walk to work everyday, have a relaxing breakfast every morning, come home for lunch, and at night cook myself a nice healthy dinner. After work, I will take a long long walk along the Sea, do some exercise in the park and be happy again. Weekend, I will travel to where the mountains are and begin my mountain hiking activities again.

For the next 20 months, this little place will be my home. I love it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Does it have a clean bathroom? I guess it does, since it would go for $3,000 in New York City. However, I have never been to New York City, there may not be any clean bathrooms there either.

And yes, I am lucky to have a clean bathroom in Alabama!

Chi S. (Tiffany) Chan said...

Steve,
Yes, after I scrubbed the floor, use tons of bleach to clear the toilet bowl and sink, it finally becomes very clean. Now I have a very nice bathroom, probably the cleanest one in Azerbajian!

Unknown said...

Good deal! Those are also nice pics you uploaded on the post. Looks like it is a nice place to live.