Tuesday, March 02, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Medical Care & Other Benefits from Peace Corps

February 25, 2010
So far I have been sick a few times, nothing serious just common cold, flu, stomach problem, body injury and last week, problem with my right eyes.

Last week, I saw “flying objects” in my right eyes. The symptom is called “PVD” and my left eye has the same problem for several years. My eye doctor in the US warned me about my right eye. He said that the same symptom would appear sooner or later in my right eye, so here it, in Azerbaijan!

I was not too concern about the symptom, it does not bother me much, and after a few months, I know my brain will ignore the objects and so long it does not affect my vision and if I do not see black shadow, I will be fine. It happens to lots of people, especially those with bad near-sighted. Nevertheless, I called Peace Corps doctor, just to keep my medical record updated. Immediately, Peace Corps doctor wanted me to go to Baku and had an eye examination. They arranged an appointment with the hospital in Baku and had a Peace Corps driver and a medical assistant to accompany me to the hospital. If something seriously goes wrong with my eye, they will fly me to Thailand for a surgery within 72 hours. I was impressed with Peace Corps medical service.

PCV receives only marginal living allowances; however, our other benefits are quite good. Our medical care is 100% taken care of, if we travel to Baku, we receive reimbursements for the travel. If anything happens back home in the States, Peace Corps will put us on the plane and allow us to stay home for 2 weeks. If for any reason, we are not happy here, Peace Corps will fly us back to the US and no hard feeling either, and if we ever get in trouble with the locals in Azerbaijan, we have the US embassy to back us up. If there is war breakout, all PCVs will be evacuated within 24 hours to nearby countries. After two years service, we can apply for any Federal job and so long the minimum requirements are met, we do not have to compete with other applicants.

There are pros and cons being a PCV, there are bad and good moments during the 2 years with Peace Corps. One thing that keeps me going is: Don’t lose sight of why I am here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fall accident. -
Sickness. -
Loneliness. -
Yucky food and fruits. -
Rough start with host family. -

A sense of adventure. +
Excellent medical benefits. +

Are you keeping a tab? What are the current scores? :)

-Jim

Chi S. (Tiffany) Chan said...

Jim,
It is harder than I thought to be a PCV, but at least I am still here and not giving up yet.