Tuesday, April 06, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Another One Quits

April 7, 2010
I only had a few days privacy at my apartment. Another PCV showed up and asked me to let her stay for a few days. My manager warned me before, he said that once you have your own place, other PCVs will show up and expect you to host them whenever they are in town. You do not have to say “yes” every time because it will become very stressful. I should have said no, but I did not have the heart to tell her.

She was very upset when I saw her at the Peace Corps Office. She told me that she just quitted the Peace Corps and desperately needed a place to stay to sort things out before leaving for the US. Well, if I were in her place, I probably would want someone to help me, to talk to me, to comfort me, “Sure, come and make yourself at home” and she did.

I do not know the real reason that she quits. All I know is that her organization does not want her back and she had a big fight with her host mother. She is a rich lady, just two years older than I am. She does not have to work for the rest of her life because she has money. Maybe that is the problem. There are not many rich people can be as humble as Mr. Warren Buffett and not many single middle age women can be a real “sweetheart”. I know I can be a “bitch” sometimes but I have not behaved so badly that my bank does not want me around. A few mishaps frustrated me but they have not yet drove me to the edge. As a guest of this country, I know I should show my respect, control my temper and sometimes, I do have to swallow my pride. Bitching and mourning will get me no where.

Since October, my group of seventeen has decreased down to thirteen. There is a rumor going on that there will be another one quitting. For those out there who are thinking to join the Peace Corps, here is my word of advice:

Make sure you join Peace Corps for the right reason or it will never work!

You should NOT join the Peace Corps under any of the following circumstances:
1. Cannot find a job at home
2. Have big problem at home and try to escape (you will have a bigger problem here)
3. Have no money and expect Peace Corps to support you (you may be poorer here!)
4. Seek adventure (there is only discomfort here, no adventure!)
5. Have money but does not know what to do with it (travel, travel, and travel)
6. Start a new life (ok, but prepare to start a tough life)
7. Just want to see how life is in other part of the world (you may end up hating it!)

So what is the right reason? For me, the foremost reason: to give something back, and secondary reason: to challenge myself.

“If you are not living on the edge, you take up too much space. It has nothing to do with thrill seeking. It is about making the most every moment, about stretching your own boundaries, about being willing to learn constantly and putting yourself in situations where learning is possible – sometimes even critical to your survival . Being out on the edge, with everything at risk, is where you learn and grow- the most”

By Jim Whittaker,
1st American to summit Mt. Everest

It pretty much sums up why I am here!