Monday, April 12, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Short of Money

April 12, 2010
I only have 17 azn living allowance left for the rest of April. I know it will not last til the end of the month. I may have to dig into my own pocket again in order to put foods on the table. It sounds so ridiculous! Back in New York, I used to shop and buy whatever I wanted, never once was I worried about putting foods on the table. I have to laugh!

The cost of living in where I live is very high. The monthly living allowances that Peace Corps pays me is not even sufficient to cover my rent. Before I came, I was prepared to live in a small village where there was no electricity and running water. I was prepared to cook in an open fire, sleep under the stars and bathe in a river. But now, I am trapped in a concrete cage, troubled by the modern pluming, sometimes live in a total darkness and am disgusted by my own “shit” when there is no running water in the toilet.

Would it be nice if I camp somewhere by the river, dig a hole if I need to go, BBQ the fish I catch from the river, eat the berries I pick from the wood then go to work at the bank. This way, I will not spend a penny that Peace Corps gives me and I can even donate those money to the orphanage….Uh life is good!

No comments: