Sunday, April 04, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Helping US Embassy


April 5, 2010
This weekend, Julie and I volunteered to help Brent from the US Embassy for the “American Days” event in Baku. It is a month long program and the main goal is to educate the Azeri people about the America. My topic is “US National Parks – Where Nature intends to be”. Julie and I downloaded a lot of beautiful pictures from the internet. I also printed out some of my hiking, backpacking and mountain climbing pictures for the display. Our audiences were mainly university students, and the event turned out to be very positive. More than 200 people showed up, which is more than Brent had expected.

We had a lot of visitors approaching to our table and asking questions about our displays. They were amazed to see how beautiful America is. Hiking, camping and mountain climbing are not very popular in this country. In general, people do not exercise here. Men and women over 30 years old are overweight and their life expectancy is 65. Heart attacked is the main killer in this country. I am not surprise considering how much fat and sweet people consume here and how little exercise they do.

I have been realistic about my work here as a PCV. If today’s event somehow has created the awareness of living healthy among the younger generation, I have done my job here as a Peace Corps Volunteer.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Speaking about healthy eating, are there any good restaurants in Azerbaijan?