Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Master the language

April 25, 2010
After six months, I am beginning to feel confidence to communicate with strangers with my Azeri language. Not only that I am able to ask and answer questions, I am also able to write a grammatically correct sentence. The credit partly goes to my dedicated teacher, Oruj. He has been a wonderful and patient young fellow.

This morning, I took a bigger loop for my daily walk. I got lost somewhere, so I stopped and asked a group of older man for direction. I was not even afraid. I went straight to the one with grey hair and politely, I asked him the question,

“Salam! Hansı yol Xəzər Dənizinə gedir?” (Hi, Which way leads to the Caspian Sea?)

Total silence for a few second, (I guess they were shock to hear a Chinese girl speaked Azeri) then one of them repeat my question

“Xəzər Dənizi? Bu yolla” (the Caspian Sea? This way)

I smiled realizing that they fully understand my question, so I became even more confident, then I continued

“burada, düz gedir?” (this way, go straight?)

“Hə düz sonra sağa (yes, straight and turn right)

Çox sağ ol (many thanks!)

Then I walked with my head held up high! I know I have overcome another hurdle and reached another milestone. Afterward, I went to the bazaar and shop. I used Azeri to bargain, to get acquaintance with the shop owners. They were all amazed that I could speak Azeri with them. Some even laughted when I complaint how expensive their goods were.

Most of the older PCVs are reluctant to learn the language. I understand how they feel. “To teach an old dog a new trick” has some truth in it. As a person gets older, it is difficult to learn new things. I saw how hard my elder friends Vivian and Kathreen struggling just trying to retain some vocabularies in their brains. “It does not stick to my brain Chi!” Vivian used to complain to me.

For me to master the language is not to give up. Six months ago, I had the same problem as Vivian, but I didnot give up. I forced myself to watch the Azeri news on TV, they often had subtitle. I looked up the words if I didnot recognize them. I wrote them down and ask Oruj to help me to pronouce them. I think my hard work finally payoff.

Afterall, why not taking the opportunity to learn a new language? Peace Corps even pays for my lesson. The best anti-aging medicine for your brain is to keep learning. By the end of my service, I am going to write a 2-page long essay in AZERI! (YOU GO GIRL CHI!)

No comments: