Friday, December 25, 2009

My Life in Azeraijan - Missing my Life Back Home

December 21, 2009
Four more days will be Christmas, and I could not help but thinking about my apartment and friends back in New York. I just remember how lovely the park in front of my apartment was every year this time. All the trees were decorated with thousands and thousands of little white lights. Under the pale moonlight, the snow on the ground reflected a dazzling silver color. I often peered through my apartment window and enjoyed the quiet night with a cup of hot tea or read my favorite book the “Arabian Sands”. Oh! I do miss my life back home….. 

Most families here in Azerbaijan do not celebrate Christmas, but they do have Christmas tree. They decorate the tree not for Christmas but for New Year. My host sister explained to me how her family will celerate the upcoming holiday. First, they prepare lots of cookies, sweets and other Azerbaijani oily and unhealthy foods before the New Year. New Year day, their relatives come and visit. They sit, eat, talk, sleep, next day, eat again, talk more and sleep. Pretty much the same as we do in America, except some Americans will go to the gym afterward. Here in Azerbaijan, no one cares about gaining weight.

My host sister is excited that I will be around to meet all her relatives. Sometimes I do feel like I am her trophy, keep smiling to all her friends and relatives. A lot of times, she would ask me to sit in front of her friends and relatives and expected me to tell them about my life in America over and over again. At the beginning, it was ok, but lately, I find it quite tiring. To keep up with a smile and constantly being watched, I just want to hide myself inside my room and read my “Arabian Sands” for the seventh time….

I am going to miss next Christmas again, but the following year, I will be home for Christmas, of course with my loved ones and hopefully receive a big hug from “J”.

No comments: