Saturday, December 05, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - My Hero Viviandir

December 6, 2009

Viviandir is the name I gave Vivian. “dir” in Azerbaijani means “is”. I just like to call her that, it also sounds like Vivian dear too. Vivian is really a tough lady even she cries all the time. These past few weeks, she managed to survive with no gas and showers. She told me her host family was out of gas for several days, and they only used the electric heater to do all the cooking and tea making. The mother would put the potatoes on top of the heater in the morning, so they would be cooked by the time the family had super. As for the tea, they would put the tea pot on top of the heater all day long. I still do not understand how they cooked the egg breakfast for Vivian in the morning.

No gas, means no shower, not even hot water to wash her face, but Vivian did not complain. Instead she made some jokes about her appearance. After losing so much weight, Vivian looked much younger and healthier compared to two months ago when I first saw her. I told her to color her hair and she would look even more desirable. I think Vivian is beautiful, inside and outside. Her family and friends back home should be proud of her. Vivian is a true survivor!

Vivian Dir, is a my Vivian Dear!

No comments: