Saturday, December 05, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Final is Over

December 5, 2009
I cannot believe our final language examination is over. I think I did ok and the teacher even gave me a “role play” test. I leant that only those who showed the ability to carry a conversation would be given a “role play” test. I think I did ok too on the “role play” test.

Looking back two months ago, neither one of us could really speak a full sentence in Azerbaijani. Today, all of us in various degrees; are managed to get around with enough Azerbaijani vocabulary. We have proven to ourselves that we can survive in this foreign land. However, our next bigger test would be even tougher. When each of us is dispatched to our worksite, how are we going to survive without our teachers, without our Peace Corps friends? Some of us will be alone living in a small village with no one speaks a word of English. I worry about Andrew, the young man I become very fond of. He did not do well in the class, nor did he do well in his examination. But he is always cheerful; I hope he will stay alive by using his charm.

No comments: