Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Tutor

December 26, 2009
Even after the training, Peace Corps wants us to keep on learning the local language. Especially for volunteers, as such me, who did not received “Intermediate Mid” level (I got Intermediate low) at the final examine should hire a tutor and continue our lessons. We are allowed to spend up to 40 AZN per month to hire a tutor. Today, I had my first lesson and for the 1st time, I enjoyed it.

My teacher is a young Azerbaijani man and he works full time as a translator. He speaks excellent English and the best thing is: he has patience. Having a private tutor, I receive 100% of my teacher’s attention. I raised questions that I was once afraid to ask. I make progress of my lesson at my own pace. At the end, I gained much more from the two hours session than I learned previously from the five hours class.

I am not expecting myself to speak fluently in Azerbaijani by the end of the two years service. However, I do believe that it is my duty, as a Peace Corps Volunteer, to master the language with the best of my ability. At the end, it helps me tremendously to gain the trust and respect of the people I serve. One more good thing about learning a new language, it slows down the aging of your brain! Anything anti-aging, I am for it!

No comments: