Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Horrible Living Condition

December 14, 2009
Yesterday, my host sister took me to visit her relatives and when we got to the area, I was totally shocked. The place reminded me of the broken and abandoned buildings in Harlem. From the outside, you would not imagine anyone living there. Maybe the homeless people will use it as a shelter. It was absolutely a horrible site. Inside the building, it was dark, wet and cold, like a prison. More accurately, it was like a dungeon. It was awful to know that there are actually people living in such a horrible, horrible condition.

To use the bathroom, I had to walk to the end of the building in the cold, entered into a dark alley, then another prison cell. I really did not want to stay there for long. That moment, I really wanted to leave and go back to the US.

I was sick, depressed and sad when I returned to my village.

No comments: