Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Peace Corps is not a Paradise!

December 13, 2009
All my friends are gone now, and I am alone here in this town. Today, I went to the bazaar alone with a sad mood. A few street vendors from the bazaar said “salam” to me. They stopped me and told me that they saw me on TV. Their warm smile made me feel a little better. After all, I still have a few friends left in town. After the bazaar, I decided to walk home. The weather was cold but the sun was out, so the walk was very pleasant. It took me 1 ½ hours to get home, but I totally enjoyed the walk.

Starting Monday, I will be working for the bank three days a week, from 10:00am to 4:00pm. If the sun is out, I will walk home after work. I need this exercise. Peace Corps requires us to do some community service besides doing our daily work. My teacher introduced me to a lady who is involved with the orphanage. So while I am not working in the bank, I will visit those cute babies. One day a week, I also work for a clinic where poor people receive medical service. The organization needs an accountant, so I volunteer to help. Most of the doctors are European volunteers. It will be interesting to meet some of them. I hope by setting up daily and weekly routine, times will go faster.

Vivian called me last night and told me a bad news. Another Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) decided to quit. He was in the Baku airport last night leaving for the US. Another PCV is also thinking to leave. Whatever the reason they decided to quit, I respect their choice but I disagreed with their action. They should have mentally prepared for the hardship. Lack of hot water, heat, foods and privacy, even not being assigned to the village they wanted, those are not the right reason to quit.

No comments: