Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Misfortune Never Come Single

January 19, 2010
After being sick for a week, this morning I was feeling pretty good and ready to go out and save the world again!

The vice chairman of the bank I report to wanted to meet me at the HQ in Baku. He wants to go over the financial reports of the bank with me. The bank’s driver was scheduled to pick me up 7:45am. I was very flattered so, I got up very early in the morning, did my routine washing and headed out to the door.

Outside, it was still very dark. Remember I mentioned before, there are no street lights any where in the town I live. I was a few minutes late so I half ran and half walked rushing to the meeting place. All the sudden, I felt my body flying forward, “bum!” I heard the sound of my head hitting the concrete floor. The next few seconds, I was scared, panic, and totally in shocked. I quickly picked myself up, looked around and found myself alone in the dark. I still did not know what just happened, but kept saying “Oh my god! my god!”. “Don’t panic Chi, don’t pass out, you are ok, calm down”.

I began to feel the pain on the right side of my head, so I first checked my right eye, and made sure I could see, then I turned my head slightly to be sure that I was actually alert and not hallucinating. Slowly, I regained my posture and remembered that I have to be somewhere. So, I started walking until I got to the place. The next few minutes, my head was playing that falling scene over and over again. I was still very confused, not knowing what actually just happened to me. I felt like to cry, but I held back my tears. “Be strong Chi, it will be OK soon”. On my way to Baku, I just sat in the car with a blank stare. The entire day, I had the most horrible self pity feeling in my stomach.

Next day, my eye was badly swollen, I found a few bruises on my leg and I also had a stiff neck, but other than that, I was fine. I went back to work again and passed the place I fell. A little dried blood still left on the spot where I had the fall. Right next to it was a tree root breaking out from the ground.

I must take a better care of myself. No one here watches over me. I guess that is what makes me feel so sad that day.

No comments: