Monday, January 04, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - My Nene (grandmother) is Sad

January 1, 2010
This is the 3rd time I saw Nene cry and I finally understand why. Like every family in the world, there are always problems behind the closed door. I have no intention to get involved with people’s business, but when I saw Nene cry, I wanted to comfort her.

Nene left the house alone, so I chased after her and accompanied her for a walk. As soon as I held her arm, then she began to talk and soon, tears rolling down from her chin. I did not understand everything she said, but I knew what made her sad. “NeNe,Ebi Yoxdur” (Never mind it, grandma) was all I could say to her.

NeNe reminds me of my own grandmother. I wish I could spend more time with my grandmother before she passed away. The week she died, I had a dream about her. A week later, I received a phone call from my sister about her death. At that time, I was waiting for my US citizenship papers, so I could not attend her funeral. I still remember how devastated and sad I was that night.

Besides for “J”, my heart always has a soft spot for elder people. I feel it is my duty to care for them, even to a total stranger. Finally, with my broken Azerbaijani, I sat down and gave my host sisters words of advice, “Nene is old, be kind to her”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chi - You are a good soul! Happy New Year!