Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Sick at Last

January 16, 2010
I have been sick a few times since I arrived in Azerbaijan. I had stomach problems, and all of them were foods and water related. After a few doses of the “pink stuff” I was back to be my cheerful self again. This week, however, I was ill, seriously ill: running nose, bad headache, fatigued, diarrhea, and dried cough. I felt like being hit by a train. I used up all my tissues plus my host family’s napkins. (my host mother was not too happy, she asked my host sister to start cutting the napkins into small pieces) The medications Peace Corps doctor gave me did not work. They were pills from Turkey. Everyone knows that the medicine in Azerbaijan is only “vitamin”. It is part of the corruption in this country. People will do anything just to make some money. Peace Corps has two doctors, the one educated in the US was out on duty and I ended up with the one educated in Azerbaijan, so I got the Azerbaijan pills. 

I have been very careful, keep up with my exercise, wash my hands often, stay away from crowded area and take my daily long walk. I even got the flu shot from Peace Corps a month ago, but I still end up with the flu. I think I got it in the “Death Anniversary” party, 160 guests I greeted that day. My host sisters and I were both sick the same week, but my symptoms were worst than her. My host sister is always very kind to me. She made me some Azerbaijani remedies which were drinks from some sour dried fruits that her mother preserved. They did not work so well, but at least someone cared for me while I was sick. I thank her for that.

It is miserable to be alone and sick. No one will be there to give you medicine, to hand you a glass of water, to clean your mess (if any), to take your temperature, to remind you taking medicine, to cover you with a blanket, to comfort you. You sit in a dark room, wear the same cloths for a week, with greasy hair and running nose, tissues everywhere and wish for a bowl of hot soup. Get the picture?

It is sad to be sick and alone. I hope I do not have to go through this again. I will double my exercise when I feel better again….

No comments: