Friday, November 27, 2009

My life in Azerbaijan - Another Famous Sitemate

November 24, 2009
I just found out yesterday that the lady who sits next to me in the class everyday is another famous lady in the US. Carol was a classmate of Mrs. Hillary Clinton. They both went to the same law school and Carol was only a year behind Mrs. Clinton. Carol told me that she supported Mrs. Clinton during her campaign and she would have been working in the White House if she was elected. Wow, I am impressed.

Before I came to Azerbaijan, I knew that I would be meeting a lot of interesting people and I am right. Most of my elderly Peace Corps friends have achieved many things in their lives. Vivian, a famous cook mentioned in the New York Times twice, Julie, a rich lady once ran a robotic company; Judy owned an art gallery, Anwar, a hotel owner, and now Carol, classmate of Mrs. Clinton. There are ten of us over 40 years old and one thing we all have in common is: we want to give something back to the world, either with our experience, knowledge or wisdom.

Back home, we all have a relatively comfortable life, some even have a very luxury life, but we are willing to give it up for two years. Some of our families and friends are still struggling to accept our decisions to join the Peace Corps. Even the people whom we are helping in Azerbaijan do not understand why we can work for no salary.

I think the concept of volunteering is a high level of human esteem or motivation. We do the volunteer work become it makes us feel good; make us feel we have accomplished another goal in our lives, or maybe more. I guess each of us will figure it out by the end of my two years service here in Azerbaijan.

No comments: