Monday, November 30, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Help around the House

November 29, 2009

I wish I had read the Peace Corps Surviving tips early so I would not have to get myself in this situation. I have been volunteering to do dishes for the family after supper. Lately, I notice that ana keeps asking me to do other household things. The request sometimes is an “order” which makes me feel very uncomfortable. This past Sunday, she even asked my other American friends to do things for her. What got us all upset was: her three daughters were all standing there and supervising us. They did not even offer to help.

By accident, I read the Peace Corps surviving tips that night, and here is what Peace Corps points out: “Don’t clean your plate or your host will just give you another helping” Well, I guess it is too late now. I am going to stay with this family four more months and I will try to help out as much as I can, but if it gets to a point that I become a maid, then I will get very angry and have to kill somebody. That will be “J” 

No comments: