Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Site Announceent

November 10, 2009

Finally, my real Peace Corps life for the next 2 years has been determined. I will be working for the RabitaBank of Azerbaijan. According to Peace Corps, it is the head office in Baku that requests my service, but since no Peace Corps Volunteer is allowed to work in Baku, so I will be placed in the Sumgayit branch. Sumgayit is the town I am living now, and it is the third biggest city in Azerbaijan. It only takes about 20-minute bus ride to get to Baku. Baku is very modern. It is the “Dubai” of Azerbaijan.

The population in Sumgayit is about 290,000. With the American standard, Sumgayit without any doubt is an unattractive city. Most buildings are old and ugly. The villages around the city are even worst. The only fine-looking buildings in the downtown area are the Palace of Culture and Trade Centre by the Caspian Sea. The highest apartment building is only 12 stories.

When I found out my placement, I was very disappointed. Some of my site mates also felt very bad for me. No one wanted to stay in Sumgayit. After the training, we are all looking forwards to leaving this place for good. I wanted to live in the mountain region so I can do some hiking, but now I will be staying here for two years. But I am an optimist person; I would like to look at the arrangement as the glass “half full”. There are many advantages for me to stay here working for the bank.

First, I do not have to move again! Most of the PCVs are still struggling to live with their host family here. When December comes, they have to do it all over again. They might find their situation is worst than what they are having now. I like and I am beginning to feel comfortable living with my host family. They are very kind to me. The family has accepted me as one of their own.

Second, working for the Bank will only add more credential to my resume. According to my job description, I will be working closely with the branch director, helping him to train staffs, improve their professional skill, do presentations on relevant topics at the head office and branch office, promote a better understanding of how US banking system operates. Most importantly, I will be reporting directly to the head office in Baku about the branch’s daily operation. All these responsibilities will only improve my professional skill, hopefully when I return to the US, I can find a job in the bank or even work for the US Treasury Department.

I still remember why I join the Peace Corps. I come here to help the people of Azerbaijan. If my skill has any value to them, I should be grateful that I can assist them. Flexibility, patience and a sense of humor are what I need to deal with any unexpected situation. I have faith in God, and so far he has been guiding me each step of the way. When times that I had reservation about my being here, God helped me to get through those moments, and of course, “J”, a life time friend being there to share my pain.

I am planning to visit Julie in Samaxi, do some hiking with her in the Spring. I will visit Vivian in Genja, she will show me all the cute babies in the orphanage. Two years will fly by so fast before I even have a chance to catch my breath…… I know it..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Chi
Wish you a healthy and happy holiday! you're doing good, I am proud of you!
Sandy