Monday, November 02, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - My Exercise

October 31, 2009

The town I am living in is very flat. There are no mountains, not even a little hill for me to climb. I am lacking exercise. Once I feel better, I want to do some daily route exercise. The weather is getting cold and walking along the Caspian Sea is out of the question. If I go running around the neighborhood, the qonso (neighbors) will definitely think that I am crazy. I will get a lot of attention or maybe the police will come and take me to the mental hospital.

I need my exercise which is the only way to keep me healthy. Everyday, I spend 10 hours at school learning the language and culture lessons. When I return home, it is already 6:00pm. After dinner, my study hours last until 11:00pm. I am not active at all. Recently I figure out a way to keep myself fit. I use the stairs! My host family’s house has two levels. There is a little stairway leading up to the second floor. For the past few weeks, I have been using it as my exercise tool. I climb the stair every morning about 20-30 times until my heart starts beating fast.

At the beginning, my host mother and sisters all stared at me and they said something about my silly action. I could not use too many Azerbaijani words to explain what I was doing, so I just let them stared. After a week or so, they all got used to my daily routine. When the neighbor (they have lots of neighbors) comes to the house in the morning, my host family would say a few words to depend me. I just smiled to their neighbors and climbed my stair.

I am going to increase my climbing exercise from 30 times to maybe 50 times. That should keep me fit and healthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chi:

Running stairway is Joe's way to become Peter Pan of hiking.
Keep up good work out.

8. 25. 12 5 5