Friday, November 27, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Thanksgiving in Azerbaijan

November 26, 2009
Well, today is Thanksgiving Day but we still have language class in the morning. However, we decide to cut the class short and have a nice Thanksgiving lunch in Carol’s place. Vivian is in charge of cooking the two chickens we brought from the Bazaar yesterday. On top of that, she will also make some biscuits and vegetables. Carol’s host mother prepares the Azerbaijan national meal – Dolma for us. As for desert, we request Mahira, our teacher to make us her sweet cookies which we all love to death.

Holiday is particular hard for some of our PCTs. Vivian was crying when I met her this morning at the school. She saw some turkeys on the road, which remained her of her family back in Taxes. But as soon as she starts cooking at Carol’s kitchen, she is happy again.

The lunch turns out to be wonderful. Although the chicken meat is a bit tough, the vegetables are absolutely delicious. I miss my vegetables and I keep eating and eating. I think I gain back all the weight I lost a month ago. The Dolma is very tasty too. It is the cabbage rapped with meat inside. I am not crazy about the Azerbaijani foods, but there are a few dishes that I like. Dolma is one of them.

Two more weeks, we will all go on our separate way. Maybe this is our last meal together. I will definitely miss Mahira, our teacher. She is really a nice lady. We give her our group picture which I took in the class as a gift to her. I also give her the Statue of Liberty Lady magnet so she can remember this little “Ci” student from New York. I am going to do well in the final examination so she can be proud of me.

No comments: