Monday, November 30, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Visit Baku

November 28, 2009
Baku, the “forbidden city” for all Peace Corps Trainees, today, finally we received a permission to visit this biggest city in Azerbaijan, of course with the supervision of our teacher. We walked around the downtown area and visited many culture centers and government buildings. We also visited the Peace Corps Office.

I am not too impressed about Baku; however, I do like the ancient Europe buildings where most of the government buildings are located. Some of the luxury apartments facing the Caspian Sea are very nice. I can understand why so many Europeans are willing to invest their capitals here in Baku. If you have money, Baku is a nice place to live. Maybe because I grew up and live in a big city all my life, Baku does not appeal to me as a charming place. I maybe a little bias, Hong Kong; by far is the prettiest city I know. Nevertheless, I am pleased to see how proud the Azerbaijani is when they talk about their country’s history and culture. My future work place is only about 30 minutes from Baku; certainly I will be spending a lot of time exploring this ancient city.

No comments: