Monday, November 30, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Serving the less Privileged

November 28, 2009
Vivian and I were invited to my host sister’s relative dinner last night. The family went out of their way to cook us a fabulous dinner. Compare to my host family, this family is quite poor. They live in a very small apartment, but I felt comfortable instantly by their friendliness, hospitability and generosity. They prepared lots of foods for us, and they even made us the American Pizza to please us. The mother was very kind to me, and her older daughter was running around all night to serve me and Vivian. It was a warm and touching gathering. I just wish that I had something to give them as a return for their cordiality.

The mother works part-time as a cook for restaurant and wedding party. Her younger daughter is a dress maker and her older daughter is single and currently unemployed. They are struggling to support each other. They probably can not afford to buy meats for dinner but they were willing to spend it on us. I am truly touched by their hospitability.

I like people who are down to earth, especially those who are poor but work very hard to strive for what they want. They maybe poor physically, but they are rich in spirit. I admire them. That night, it made it clear to me that I was much more suited to serve the less privileged, and not to work for the wealthy.

No comments: