Tuesday, November 03, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Test Results

November 2, 2009
Well, our language test result is in. I received “Low - medium” and Vivian got “Low - low”. I am a little disappointed. I was hoping to get a “Low - high”. I have no problem remember words, just find it difficult to put together a grammatically correct sentence. Azerbaijani does not have proposition, instead it has suffixes, which is my main problem. Each personal pronoun receives a different suffix based on a vow harmony, location, direct object or tenses. Not only it sounds complicated, it is actually complicated. I need time to understand the grammar and the sentence structure better. Once I learn that, I will be able to put the sentence together logically, but my problem is time. All the Peace Corps Trainees agree, we just simply do not have enough time everyday.

From Monday to Saturday, we have class from 9:00am until 5:30pm. On top of that, we have projects, presentations, site visits and other home work to do. We only have Sunday off and most of us use that day to send e-mails home. Peace Corps put a lot of pressure on us to learn the local language. We are here only one month, it is a very short time period for anyone to learn and master the language. For the elderly trainees, language is their main hurdle. Some of them refuse to learn the language. Personally I think their attitude is wrong, nevertheless, I understand their frustration.

I like my language teacher. She is a very nice Azerbaijan lady and she tried very hard to help me and Vivian. She even spent extra time to tutor Vivian and me. I am going to try harder this time. I am not a quitter. I know I can learn, I just need to try a little harder. I want to and I have to God please helps me!

No comments: